My Professional Development Plan

Not quite a year ago I spotted a job advertisement for a local college. It mentioned the PIDP as a recommended pre-requisite for the job (or acquiring it once hired).   “Hmmm…I wonder what that is?”, and discovered that it was a program offered at Vancouver Community College.  “Interesting”, was my response. Then, about two weeks later, I spotted  a “Technology in Teaching” course offered at Thompson Rivers University in the fall.  It mentioned that the course would transfer to the PIDP program.  Little did I realize how much those two events would impact the next year of my life!

Over the past ten months I have (almost) completed seven out of the eight PIDP courses. At this point, my first goal is finishing the PIDP. After that, my next priority is to explore teaching jobs while at the same time maintaining my clinical focus on pedicatrics. I do have a job interview coming up at the local college for casual work within the LPN program, so that is a step in the right direction!

My short term professional development goals for pediatrics (my current area of clinical practice) include writing the new Canadian Nurses Association certification for pedicatrics as well as completing the online immunization course offered through the Provincial Health Services Authority on the Learning Hub.

In relation to professional development for teaching, I will  continue to attend the annual professional development conference at Thompson Rivers University – Open Learning (TRU-OL). I also intend to continue accessing programs through the TRU Centre for Teaching and Learning (CELT). One workshop which caught my eye was called Liberating Structures.  As well, I would like to pursue the Facilitator Development Workshop for the ISW.

After that, my next professional development goals will be directed by my workplace setting. Wherever I end up working next, I hope I will be able to put the knowledge and skills which I learned in the PIDP to good use.